Ridin' Red
Calgary, Canada 2004
April 23, 2011
Easter
I love holidays. No that is not a redundant phrase. That's like saying kids like candy I know. But in case you don't actually know me that well, my basement is FULL of pretty much nothing more than boxes and boxes of holiday, um, stuff, (there have been 5 days in our marraige that Greg has called my precious holiday decor something else but we shall not speak the word because those were each of the 5 moving days we have had in 7 years so they don't count)! Anyway! I love holidays for many reasons. I remember as a young girl going to my calendar after each holiday past and sadly wondering if there was anything left worth living for since Halloween (or the 4th of July or Christmas) was now over. I was always so delighted that it was never very long before the next holiday would come. I loved the changing of the seasons, which always brought something new to celebrate. Basically I just love to celebrate. So pretty much if you even half way mention a party or an event to me you will not have to do any convincing here. I'm in.
So now the ground work is layed and you can expect a blog on every holiday this year and my feelings about it. In 2 days it will be Easter. I've had my decorations out since the night of St. Patrick's day although the only reason for that is because this year there was actually a decent gap between the two. I love everything about Spring and all the renewal it brings. Winter always seems so long although I admit to looking forward to it every year in November. By the time Christmas is over I grit my teeth during January, February I'm in a denial of depression, and March I'm sure I've forgotten what summer feels like. So April with it's teasing warm days mixed with cold rainy ones is such a wonderful reminder of the days ahead.
But it's Easter that is the ultimate sign of Spring. Not only is it full of new life, fresh starts and smiles all around, but it brings a reverence that can only be had when you think of Jesus Christ making the ultimate sacrifice...for me. I sometimes wonder if I was the only other spirit offspring of God would Christ still go through the terrible last days of his life and actually sacrifice himself for me? It's humbling to ponder and in my heart I believe He would. So I try to think about that often during Easter week. Whether it was for the untold number of the inhabitants of the earth or just for little imperfect me, He would suffer and die so I might repent and live. For this I am grateful.
My son Zach is 4 years old. This year I am acutely aware that he is pretty much only wanting candy and a fabulous Easter basket and would skip going to church altogether. It's kind of funny that it bothers me since I'm pretty sure I only cared about the egg hunts and candy and baskets until I was much older than he is. The true meaning of the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ didn't really dawn on me until I was about 12. My sister Julie heard me complaining this week about how kids don't realize what Easter is really about and she suggested I just keep telling the stories of the true meaning over and over and as the years go by our kids will get it. Ah the wise words! I will do that. It makes me feel better to know I am at least teaching my children the things that matter. It is a responsibility I take very seriously.
In the meantime, I'll be the first to admit I want to make Easter as fun as possible too! On Tuesday we made and decorated sugar cookies at Julie's house with all our kids and Lori and Makenze.
Today I boiled a dozen eggs and Zach was in hog heaven when we started dying them. We also filled about 30 eggs with candy. My poor poor son! I'm afraid he's already got the holiday bug. He literally knows every holiday in the right order and where the boxes are in my basement for each. And he's starting to teach Allie. My life is complete.
Here are a few pics from Easter last year. My brother James and his awesome wife Lyndi came over and we had a great time doin' it right!
Decorating da eggs...
Oh they are so ready to hunt!!
It's finally time!
Very busy children!
Big kids like to hunt too.
Ok so we did have to help them a bit...
The spoils!
I taught Sunbeams last year and of course they were forced to eat messy sugar cookies.
Drawing an Easter picture. I heart these kids!
May you all remember what Easter is REALLY about and may you also be the fastest on your feet to get them eggs!!!
HAPPY EASTER!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














Will you write my blog for me??!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter Cheryl. Your traditions will be so special to your kids and your family. I love the holidays. They bring excitement and anticipation and a good reason to get together and have a lot of fun.
ReplyDelete