Ridin' Red

Ridin' Red
Calgary, Canada 2004

May 04, 2011

Supercross 2011

This is Kevin Windham #14 Honda Rider -MY FAVORITE!!
Ah Supercross! Our one and only sport! The only time announcers are heard loud and proud in our house while us viewers watch in quiet reverence. Ok not reverence. More like lots of "Whoa! Wipe out!" or "Wait I missed it where's the replay?" or "Down goes Stewart again! How come Windham doesn't take them all out????" And so on.

Maybe if you're lucky I'll do a post on Windham and why he's such a crowd pleaser!
 The races start in January and always end in May in Las Vegas. This Saturday at 8pm is the final race! Last Saturday we actually went to the race in Salt Lake -it's always a good one because it's right before the final race and each race points are added up according to where the riders place.  This ultimately determines the winner of the Supercross Title in Vegas. We went  to the Vegas race every year until they started coming to Salt Lake. Now we don't make the trek down there but I wish we would! Ok so that's a quick run down of how it works.

We were sooooo excited for the race in SLC this year! We always go with Greg's brother Neil and his awesome wife Aimee (who live in Heber).

They have 4 kids who are also die hards!
The ONLY downside to the SLC races is that it has been cold and rainy EVERY year since they brought it back a few years ago! Last year it was so bad we were all wearing ponchos, it was just pouring down!


Yes, this was last year -we crazy!
 I had to rescue Zach and me from the freezing wet temps and left before the race was over. No good! But we did have fun in the pits before the race. All the fans go to "the pits" during the day where the riding teams have tents and trailers out for the riders to give autographs. There are lots of vendors and sponsors -music, giveaways, lots of stuff to buy -like a fairground for Supercross fans. :) Here are a couple of my favorites pics from the pits last year...

Greg and Neil

Greg and Zach at the Honda tent



Me and My boy!
This year I started watching the weather 10 days out. And every day it got closer the temp for that day dropped a degree or two. Finally the day of I was just so ornary! It was going to be another cold race! I even threatened I wasn't going to go but when it came right down to it I started getting excited again and prepared for the cold with  my kids. But guess what??? It wasn't all that bad! Probably the warmest race we've had. Alright it was definitely cold when the sun went down. But it was so worth it! The secret that made it so much better is that this year Neil brought down his toy hauler and we tail gated in the parking lot! It was so great! We barbequed and had some great friends join us and I even saw the guys invite over some complete strangers to eat with us (and they did)!

The thing about Supercross fans is that they are all cool. I've been to a Nascar race and I'll never go again. The fans are (to me) just awful. I won't use the words we use but trust me. Supercross is young and hip and family oriented -oh so different! I seriously hope everyone has something they love to do as much as we love Supercross! Here are some pics from the day....

You think I bundled up Allie enough? :)



My friend Lateesha and me tailgating!


Aimee and Me in our seats.

Autograph after the race with a racer I don't know! Lol! They were waiting for the points leader, Ryan Villipoto but he wouldn't come out of his trailer. That's ok though cuz we have an in to "RV" now with some friends. Yay!



The day after...a perma grin with his new hat!

And finally, my favorite pic of the day......

Happy campers on the #14! Watch out -this may be our Chrismas picture!

And I'm out!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like lots of fun! I'm glad you went anyways. I think that might be our sport too someday!! Great post! Your lucky that Neil and Amy are such great friends for you. Love Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a good mommy Cheryl. "Do you think a bundled up Allie enough?"

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please tell me what you thought...